Friday 4 July 2014

DIY TURMERIC FACE MASK: FOR GLOWING CLEAR SKIN

DIY face mask using Turmeric
I love face masks, and this one is one of my favourite DIY masks. Every time I use this mask my skin literally glows, and does so for days afterwards. Now this is not coming from me, but from my family and friends who always comment! This gives me healthy, smooth supple, glowing skin.

Ingredients

1.Besan/Gram Flour/Chickpea flour - I love this stuff, click here to see how I also use it to make a ridiculously easy face cleanser

2.Full fat milk or if your prefer you can also substitute the milk for full fat yogurt. 

3. Turmeric Powder - The star ingredient of this face mask. This is a spice you can find easily in the spice aisle, but it's not just for cooking it's also a fantastic ingredient in skincare. The active ingredient in turmeric is cucumin and acts as a strong antioxidant.  

It's not just me who loves this stuff, you can read countless raves, and testimonials on the Internet attesting to the greatness that is turmeric. It received a rating of 4.6 out of 5 (93%) with the girls over at Makeupalley. Here are a few extracts about what others had to say about Turmeric. 
I started using Turmeric Externally in masks. Turmeric, Greek yogurt, local honey with a bit of cinnamon is a excellent mask. I also mix Coconut oil or Olive oil and just the Turmeric and make a paste..... My skin glows, my pores look smaller, my skintone is more even and less inflamed. If you make a paste and put this on a giant pimple/Cyst overnight it will heal up super fast. those ones that like take residence on your face for a month are gone in a few days. 
Um, wow. That's what I have to say about this stuff
I have been using it since I was a child, when my mom would apply a paste for any burns or scars, which quickly disappeared.I now mix it in with some yogurt, honey and sugar and leave it on for about 10 minutes before I shower. It helps with redness and acne marks, and gives my skin this smoothness and a glow that seems to come from within. I love, love, love it!
4. Organic Almond oil - will help soften, soothe and recondition (or you can you use whatever your favourite beneficial oil is)

Directions

In a bowl mix together 2 Tablespoons of Gram flour, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (not heaped, you don't want to overdo it with the turmeric!), 1 tablespoon of Almond Oil, 1 Table spoon of milk. 

If you find the mask a little to dry add a bit more milk, if its to wet and a bit more flour. You want it to be a nice smooth paste consistency. You will have some mask left over, that's fine just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge and use it at a later stage. 

Mix into a paste, apply to the face and leave on for a good 20 minutes, rinse off. I like to do this mask before i have a shower as it's easier to just wash it off under the shower.

Tips 

∘Be careful not to get the mask on any clothing as it will stain 

∘A lot of people are put off using this mask, due to the fear of looking like a character from the Simpson's! However pure, organic turmeric doesn’t leave a permanent yellow stain; rather, it’s the artificial dyes added to the supermarket stuff that stains skin with the unflattering hue.

∘If you want to be extra careful, look for kasturi turmeric which is intrinsically non-staining and is superb at clearing acne and brightening the complexion. However, it is not edible and should only be used externally. Don't worry if you can't find this though, because of the milk/yoghurt in the mask, this will cancel out the staining.

Have you ever tried using turmeric in your skincare? 

No comments :

Post a Comment